1. (Britain dialectal, chiefly Scotland, Northern England, agriculture) Improving; nutritious; fattening.
- battle grass, battle pasture
2. (Britain dialectal, chiefly Scotland, Northern England) Fertile; fruitful.
- battle soil, battle land
1. a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
- Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga
2. an energetic attempt to achieve something
- he fought a battle for recognition
Similar word(s): struggle
3. an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
- police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs
Definition categories: act
Sentences with battle as a noun:
- the battle of life