1. fail to agree with; be in violation of; as of rules or patterns
- This sentence violates the rules of syntax
Similar word(s): break
Definition categories: stative
2. act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
- violate the basic laws or human civilization
- Don't violate my garden
- violate my privacy
4. violate the sacred character of a place or language
- violate the sanctity of the church
5. force (someone) to have sex against their will
6. destroy and strip of its possession
Sentences with violate as a verb:
- The program tried to write to privileged memory, so it was flagged with a protect violate error.
- Accessing unauthorized files violates security protocol.