1. formality and proper manner.
Similar word(s): modesty
2. something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose
3. an athlete who plays only when a starter on the team is replaced
Similar word(s): substitute
4. (medicine) potential capacity to respond in order to maintain vital functions
Definition categories: quantity
5. a district that is reserved for particular purpose
Similar word(s): reservation
Definition categories: location
6. armed forces that are not on active duty but can be called in an emergency
7. the trait of being uncommunicative; not volunteering anything more than necessary
Sentences with reserve as a noun:
- I accept your view with one reserve.
- New oil reserves are continuously being discovered, but not as fast as the existing ones are running out.
1. hold back or set aside, especially for future use or contingency
2. give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause
- I will earmark this money for your research
3. obtain or arrange (for oneself) in advance
- We managed to reserve a table at Maxim's
4. arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
- reserve me a seat on a flight
Sentences with reserve as a verb:
- We reserve the right to make modifications.
- This cake is reserved for the guests!
- I reserved a table for us at the best restaurant in town.