1. a special group delegated to consider some matter
Similar word(s): committee
Definition categories: group
2. a fee for services rendered based on a percentage of an amount received or collected or agreed to be paid (as distinguished from a salary)
- he works on commission
3. the act of granting authority to undertake certain functions
Similar word(s): commissioning
4. the state of being in good working order and ready for operation
- put the ships into commission
- the motor was out of commission
5. a group of representatives or delegates
6. a formal statement of a command or injunction to do something
7. an official document issued by a government and conferring on the recipient the rank of an officer in the armed forces
8. the act of committing a crime
9. a special assignment that is given to a person or group
Sentences with commission as a noun:
- It was James Bond's commission to defeat the bad guys.
- David received his commission after graduating from West Point.
- I have three commissions for the city.
- the European Commission; the Electoral Commission; the Federal Communications Commission
- The company's sexual harassment commission made sure that every employee completed the on-line course.
- a reseller's commission
- The real-estate broker charged a four percent commission for their knowledge on bidding for commercial properties; for their intellectual perspective on making a formal offer and the strategy to obtain a mutually satisfying deal with the seller in favour of the buyer .
- the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism
1. put into commission; equip for service; of ships
2. place an order for
3. charge with a task
Sentences with commission as a verb:
- James Bond was commissioned with recovering the secret documents.
- He commissioned a replica of the Mona Lisa for his living room, but the painter gave up after six months.
- The aircraft carrier was commissioned in 1944, during WWII.