1. one of a set of small pieces of stiff paper marked in various ways and used for playing games or for telling fortunes
- he collected cards and traded them with the other boys
Definition categories: man–made, paper
2. a card certifying the identity of the bearer
- he had to show his card to get in
Definition categories: communication
3. a rectangular piece of stiff paper used to send messages (may have printed greetings or pictures)
- they sent us a card from Miami
4. thin cardboard, usually rectangular
5. a witty amusing person who makes jokes
6. a sign posted in a public place as an advertisement
7. a printed or written greeting that is left to indicate that you have visited
8. (golf) a record of scores (as in golf)
- you have to turn in your card to get a handicap
Similar word(s): scorecard
9. a list of dishes available at a restaurant
10. (baseball) a list of batters in the order in which they will bat
- the managers presented their cards to the umpire at home plate
Similar word(s): lineup
11. a printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities
Similar word(s): board
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with card as a noun:
- He played cards with his friends.
- The government played the Orange card to get support for their Ireland policy.
- He accused them of playing the race card.
- What’s on the card for tonight?
- He needed to replace the card his computer used to connect to the internet.
- She gave her neighbors a card congratulating them on their new baby.
- The realtor gave me her card so I could call if I had any questions about buying a house.
- to put a card in the newspapers
- This will be a good card for the last day of the fair.
1. separate the fibers of
Similar word(s): tease
2. ask someone for identification to determine whether he or she is old enough to consume liquor
- I was carded when I tried to buy a beer!
Sentences with card as a verb:
- They have to card anybody who looks 21 or younger.
- I heard you don't get carded at the other liquor store.
- to card a horse