1. For each unit.
- We have to keep our unit costs down if we want to make a profit.
2. (mathematics) Having a size or magnitude of one.
1. any division of quantity accepted as a standard of measurement or exchange
- the dollar is the United States unit of currency
- a unit of wheat is a bushel
- change per unit volume
Definition categories: quantity
2. an individual or group or structure or other entity regarded as a structural or functional constituent of a whole
- the reduced the number of units and installations
- the word is a basic linguistic unit
3. an organization regarded as part of a larger social group
- the coach said the offensive unit did a good job
- after the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit
4. a single undivided whole
- an idea is not a unit that can be moved from one brain to another
5. a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else
- units of nucleic acids
6. an assemblage of parts that is regarded as a single entity
- the team is a unit
Similar word(s): whole
Sentences with unit as a noun:
- The centimetre is a unit of length.
- This pill provides 500 units of Vitamin E.
- He was a member of a special police unit.
- The fifth tank brigade moved in with 20 units. (i.e., 20 tanks)
- We shipped nearly twice as many units this month as last month.