1. a special situation
- this thing has got to end
- it is a remarkable thing
2. an action
- how could you do such a thing?
3. a special abstraction
- a thing of the spirit
- things of the heart
4. an artifact
- how does this thing work?
5. an event
- a funny thing happened on the way to the...
6. a vaguely specified concern
- things are going well
7. a statement regarded as an object
- to say the same thing in other terms
- how can you say such a thing?
8. an entity that is not named specifically
- I couldn't tell what the thing was
Definition categories: man–made, entity
9. any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence
- the thing I like about her is ...
Definition categories: attribute
10. a special objective
- the thing is to stay in bounds
11. a persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion
- he has a thing about seafood
- she has a thing about him
Definition categories: feeling
12. a separate and self-contained entity
Definition categories: general
Sentences with thing as a noun:
- Bacon pie? Is that a thing?
- get me a thing of apple juice at the store;
- The car looks cheap, but the thing is, I have doubts about its safety.
- you poor thing;
- that's the thing: we don't know where he went;
- Oh yeah, I'm supposed to promote that vision thing.
1. (rare) To express as a thing; to reify.