1. the complete duration of something
- the job was finished in the span of an hour
2. the distance or interval between two points
3. two items of the same kind
4. a unit of length based on the width of the expanded human hand (usually taken as 9 inches)
Definition categories: quantity
5. a structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a river or canal or railway etc.
Similar word(s): bridge
6. the act of sitting or standing astride
Similar word(s): straddle
1. to cover or extend over an area or time period
- The parking lot spans 3 acres
- The novel spans three centuries
Sentences with span as a verb:
- The suspension bridge spanned the canyon as tenuously as one could imagine.
- The parking lot spans three acres.
- World record! 5 GHz WiFi connection spans 189 miles. 
- to span a space or distance; to span a cylinder