1. a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
Definition categories: man–made, adornment
2. a high tight collar
3. a noisy fight
Sentences with ruffle as a noun:
- She loved the dress with the lace ruffle at the hem.
- to put the mind in a ruffle
1. stir up (water) so as to form ripples
2. trouble or vex
- ruffle somebody's composure
3. to walk with a lofty proud gait, often in an attempt to impress others
- This play is going to ruffle some people
5. twitch or flutter
6. mix so as to make a random order or arrangement
7. erect or fluff up
- the bird ruffled its feathers
Similar word(s): fluff
8. disturb the smoothness of
- ruffle the surface of the water
Similar word(s): rumple
9. pleat or gather into a ruffle
- ruffle the curtain fabric
Similar word(s): pleat
Sentences with ruffle as a verb:
- Ruffle the end of the cuff.
- The wind ruffled the papers.
- Her sudden volley of insults ruffled his composure.