1. a cgs unit of dynamic viscosity equal to one dyne-second per square centimeter; the viscosity of a fluid in which a force of one dyne per square centimeter maintains a velocity of 1 centimeter per second
Definition categories: quantity
2. a state of being balanced in a stable equilibrium
3. great coolness and composure under strain
1. be motionless, in suspension
- The bird poised for a few moments before it attacked
2. prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
Similar word(s): brace
3. cause to be balanced or suspended
4. hold or carry in equilibrium
Similar word(s): balance
Sentences with poise as a verb:
- I poised the crowbar in my hand, and waited.
- to poise the scales of a balance
- The rock was poised precariously on the edge of the cliff.