1. the cardinal number that is the sum of four and one
2. one of a pair of decorations projecting above the rear fenders of an automobile
Similar word(s): tailfin
3. one of a set of parallel slats in a door or window to admit air and reject rain
4. a shoe for swimming; the paddle-like front is an aid in swimming (especially underwater)
Similar word(s): flipper
Definition categories: man–made, shoe
5. a stabilizer on a ship that resembles the fin of a fish
6. organ of locomotion and balance in fishes and some other aquatic animals
Sentences with fin as a noun:
- The fish's fins minimize water flow.
- a dolphin's fin
- The fin stabilises the plane in flight.
- The divers wore fins to swim faster.
1. equip (a car) with fins
2. propel oneself through the water in a finning motion
3. show the fins above the water while swimming
- The sharks were finning near the surface
Sentences with fin as a verb:
- A neutrally buoyant diver does not need to fin to maintain depth.