1. the act of swimming
- it was the swimming they enjoyed most
- they took a short swim in the pool
Similar word(s): swimming
Sentences with swim as a noun:
- I'm going for a swim.
1. travel through water
- We had to swim for 20 minutes to reach the shore
- a big fish was swimming in the tank
2. be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom
Similar word(s): float
3. be dizzy or giddy
- my brain is swimming after the bottle of champagne
4. be covered with or submerged in a liquid
- the meat was swimming in a fatty gravy
Similar word(s): drown
5. move as if gliding through water
- this snake swims through the soil where it lives
Sentences with swim as a verb:
- sink or swim
- For exercise, we like to swim laps around the pool.
- I want to swim the 200-yard breaststroke in the finals.
- to swim a horse across a river
- to swim wheat in order to select seed