1. something that is a source of danger
- earthquakes are a constant threat in Japan
Similar word(s): menace
2. a warning that something unpleasant is imminent
- they were under threat of arrest
3. declaration of an intention or a determination to inflict harm on another
- his threat to kill me was quite explicit
4. a person who inspires fear or dread
1. (transitive) To press; urge; compel.
2. (transitive, archaic) To threaten.
3. (intransitive) To use threats; act or speak menacingly; threaten.