1. the state of being present; current existence
- he tested for the presence of radon
2. the immediate proximity of someone or something
- she blushed in his presence
- he sensed the presence of danger
Similar word(s): front
3. an invisible spiritual being felt to be nearby
4. the impression that something is present
- he felt the presence of an evil force
5. dignified manner or conduct
6. the act of being present
Sentences with presence as a noun:
- Any painter can benefit from the presence of a live model from which to draw.
- Bob never said anything about it in my presence.
- Despite being less than five foot, she filled up the theatre with her stage presence.
- I'm convinced that there was a presence in that building that I can't explain, which led to my heroic actions.
1. (philosophy) To make or become present.