1. (of a structural member) withstanding a weight or strain
Similar word(s): supporting
Sentences with bearing as an adjective:
- That's a bearing wall.
1. relevant relation or interconnection
- those issues have no bearing on our situation
2. the direction or path along which something moves or along which it lies
3. dignified manner or conduct
4. characteristic way of bearing one's body
Definition categories: attribute
5. heraldry consisting of a design or image depicted on a shield
Similar word(s): charge
Definition categories: man–made, heraldry
6. a rotating support placed between moving parts to allow them to move easily
Definition categories: man–made, support
Sentences with bearing as a noun:
- That has no bearing on this issue.
- She walks with a confident, self-assured bearing.
- A lintel or beam may have four inches of bearing upon the wall.
- The beam has twenty feet of bearing between its supports.
1. present participle of bear