1. the cloak as a symbol of authority
- place the mantle of authority on younger shoulders
2. the layer of the earth between the crust and the core
3. anything that covers
Similar word(s): blanket
4. (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell
Similar word(s): pallium
5. shelf that projects from wall above fireplace
Definition categories: man–made, shelf
6. hanging cloth used as a blind (especially for a window)
7. a sleeveless garment like a cloak but shorter
Similar word(s): cape
Definition categories: man–made, cloak
Sentences with mantle as a noun:
- At the meeting, she finally assumed the mantle of leadership of the party.
- The movement strove to put women under the protective mantle of civil rights laws.