1. an arbitrary sign (written or printed) that has acquired a conventional significance
2. something visible that by association or convention represents something else that is invisible
- the eagle is a symbol of the United States
Similar word(s): symbolization
Definition categories: thought
Sentences with symbol as a noun:
- $ is the symbol for dollars in the US and some other countries.
- '#' is the octothorpe symbol.
- Chinese people use word symbols for writing.
- The lion is the symbol of courage; the lamb is the symbol of meekness or patience.
- The dollar symbol has no relationship to the concept of currency or any related idea.
- The Apostles, Nicene Creed and the confessional books of Protestantism, such as the Augsburg Confession of Lutheranism are considered symbols.
1. To symbolize.