1. single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
Similar word(s): bed
2. a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
3. an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
- a simile has at least two layers of meaning
4. a hen that lays eggs
5. thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
Sentences with layer as a noun:
- Wrap the loaf in two layers of aluminum foil before putting it in the oven.
- After the first coat of paint dried, he applied another layer.
- It's cold now but it will warm up this afternoon. Make sure you wear layers.
- I find seven-layer cake a bit too rich.
- mired in layers of deceit
- a software layer that translates keystrokes
- When dealing with an infestation of headlice, the first step is to eliminate the layers.