1. a man-made object taken as a whole
Similar word(s): artefact
2. An object, such as a tool, weapon or ornament, of archaeological or historical interest, especially such an object found at an archaeological excavation.
Sentences with artifact as a noun:
- The dig produced many Roman artifacts.
- The spot on his lung turned out to be an artifact of the X-ray process.
- This JPEG image has been so highly compressed that it has too many unsightly compression artifacts, making it unsuitable for the cover of our magazine.