1. a written message addressed to a person or organization
- mailed an indignant letter to the editor
Similar word(s): missive
2. the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech
- his grandmother taught him his letters
3. owner who lets another person use something (housing usually) for hire
4. a strictly literal interpretation (as distinct from the intention)
- he followed instructions to the letter
- he obeyed the letter of the law
Definition categories: communication
5. an award earned by participation in a school sport
- he won letters in three sports
Sentences with letter as a noun:
- There are twenty-six letters in the English alphabet.
- I wrote a letter to my sister about my life.
- Benjamin Franklin was multiskilled - a scientist, politician and a man of letters.
- the letter of a room
- a blood-letter