1. the words of something written
- there were more than a thousand words of text
- they handed out the printed text of the mayor's speech
- he wants to reconstruct the original text
2. a passage from the Bible that is used as the subject of a sermon
- the preacher chose a text from Psalms to introduce his sermon
3. a book prepared for use in schools or colleges
- his economics textbook is in its tenth edition
- the professor wrote the text that he assigned students to buy
4. the main body of a written work (as distinct from illustrations or footnotes etc.)
- pictures made the text easier to understand
Sentences with text as a noun:
- German text
1. (transitive) To send a text message to; i.e. to transmit text using the Short Message Service (SMS), or a similar service, between communications devices, particularly mobile phones.
- Just text me when you get here.
- I'll text the address to you as soon as I find it.
2. (intransitive) To send and receive text messages.
- Have you been texting all afternoon?
3. To write in large characters, as in text hand.