1. a vaguely specified concern
- several matters to attend to
2. some situation or event that is thought about
- it is a matter for the police
3. that which has mass and occupies space
- physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it
Definition categories: general
4. a problem
- is anything the matter?
5. (used with negation) having consequence
- they were friends and it was no matter who won the games
6. written works (especially in books or magazines)
- he always took some reading matter with him on the plane
Sentences with matter as a noun:
- vegetable matter
- printed matter;
- What's the matter?;
- I stayed for a matter of months.
1. have weight; have import, carry weight
- It does not matter much
Sentences with matter as a verb:
- The only thing that matters to Jim is being rich.
- Sorry for pouring ketchup on your clean white shirt! - Oh, don't worry, it does not matter.