1. the sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing)
- the knocking grew louder
Similar word(s): knocking
2. negative criticism
Similar word(s): roast
3. a vigorous blow
- the sudden knock floored him
4. a bad experience
- the school of hard knocks
5. the act of hitting vigorously
Sentences with knock as a noun:
- I heard a knock on my door.
- He took a knock on the head.
- He played a slow but sure knock of 35.
1. deliver a sharp blow or push
- He knocked the glass clear across the room
2. rap with the knuckles
- knock on the door
3. knock against with force or violence
Similar word(s): bump
4. make light, repeated taps on a surface
5. sound like a car engine that is firing too early
6. find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws
- Don't knock the food--it's free
Sentences with knock as a verb:
- Knock on the door and find out if they're home.
- I knocked against the table and bruised my leg.
- I accidentally knocked my drink off the bar.
- Don't knock it until you've tried it.