1. a piece of meat roasted or for roasting and of a size for slicing into more than one portion
Similar word(s): joint
2. negative criticism
Similar word(s): knock
Sentences with roast as a noun:
- Dark roast means that the coffee bean has been roasted to a higher temperature and for a longer period of time than in light roast.
1. cook with dry heat, usually in an oven
- roast the turkey
2. subject to laughter or ridicule
- His former students roasted the professor at his 60th birthday
Sentences with roast as a verb:
- to roast meat on a spit
- to roast a potato in ashes
- Coffee beans need roasting before use.
- to roast chestnuts or peanuts
- I’m late home for the fourth time this week; my mate will really roast me this time.
- The class clown enjoys being roasted by mates as well as staff.