1. a reproach for some lapse or misdeed
- it was a bum rap
Similar word(s): blame
2. a gentle blow
3. the sound made by a gentle blow
4. voluble conversation
5. genre of African-American music of the 1980s and 1990s in which rhyming lyrics are chanted to a musical accompaniment; several forms of rap have emerged
Definition categories: communication
6. the act of hitting vigorously
Sentences with rap as a noun:
- The teacher gave the wayward pupil a rap across the knuckles with her ruler.
- You can't act irresponsibly and then expect me to take the rap.
- I don't care a rap.
- That's not worth a rap.
1. strike sharply
- rap him on the knuckles
Similar word(s): knap
2. make light, repeated taps on a surface
3. perform rap music
4. talk volubly
Sentences with rap as a verb:
- He started to rap after listening to the Beastie Boys
- He rapped a song to his girlfriend.