1. avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
- They tend to evade their responsibilities
- he evaded the questions skillfully
2. escape, either physically or mentally
- This difficult idea seems to evade her
- The event evades explanation
3. practice evasion
- This man always hesitates and evades
4. use cunning or deceit to escape or avoid
- The con man always evades
Sentences with evade as a verb:
- Evading from perils. — Francis Bacon.Unarmed they might / Have easily, as spirits evaded swift / By quick contraction or remove. — John Milton.
- The ministers of God are not to evade and take refuge any of these ... ways. — Robert South.