1. the act of escaping physically
- he made his escape from the mental hospital
- the canary escaped from its cage
Similar word(s): flight
Definition categories: act
2. an inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy
- romantic novels were her escape from the stress of daily life
Similar word(s): escapism
3. nonperformance of something distasteful (as by deceit or trickery) that you are supposed to do
- that escape from the consequences is possible but unattractive
4. an avoidance of danger or difficulty
- that was a narrow escape
5. a means or way of escaping
- hard work was his escape from worry
- they installed a second hatch as an escape
- their escape route
6. a plant originally cultivated but now growing wild
7. the discharge of a fluid from some container
- they tried to stop the escape of gas from the damaged pipe
8. a valve in a container in which pressure can build up (as a steam boiler); it opens automatically when the pressure reaches a dangerous level
Sentences with escape as a noun:
- The prisoners made their escape by digging a tunnel.
- You forgot to insert an escape in the datastream.
1. run away from confinement
- The convicted murderer escaped from a high security prison
2. fail to experience
Similar word(s): miss
3. escape potentially unpleasant consequences; get away with a forbidden action
4. be incomprehensible to; escape understanding by
Similar word(s): elude
5. remove oneself from a familiar environment, usually for pleasure or diversion
- We escaped to our summer house for a few days
6. flee; take to one's heels; cut and run
- The burglars escaped before the police showed up
7. issue or leak, as from a small opening
- Gas escaped into the bedroom
Sentences with escape as a verb:
- The prisoners escaped by jumping over a wall.
- He only got a fine and so escaped going to jail.
- The children climbed out of the window to escape the fire.
- Luckily, I escaped with only a fine.
- The name of the hotel escapes me at present.
- When using the "bash" shell, you can escape the ampersand character with a backslash.
- Brion escaped the double quote character on Windows by adding a second double quote within the literal.