1. a coarse term for defecation
2. a piece of land where waste materials are dumped
Similar word(s): dumpsite
3. (computer science) a copy of the contents of a computer storage device; sometimes used in debugging programs
4. a place where supplies can be stored
- an ammunition dump
Sentences with dump as a noun:
- A toxic waste dump.
- The new XML dump is coming soon.
- This place looks like a dump.
- Don't feel bad about moving away from this dump.
- March slowly on in solemn dump. -- Hudibras.Doleful dumps the mind oppress. --William ShakespeareI was musing in the midst of my dumps. --John Bunyan.
- Tune a deploring dump.
- Play me some merry dump. --William Shakespeare
1. throw away as refuse
- No dumping in these woods!
2. sever all ties with, usually unceremoniously or irresponsibly
- The company dumped him after many years of service
- She dumped her boyfriend when she fell in love with a rich man
Similar word(s): ditch
3. sell at artificially low prices
Similar word(s): underprice
4. drop (stuff) in a heap or mass
- The truck dumped the garbage in the street
5. fall abruptly
Similar word(s): plunge
6. knock down with force