1. a reproduction of a written record (e.g. of a legal or school record)
Similar word(s): transcript
Definition categories: communication
2. a thing made to be similar or identical to another thing
- she made a copy of the designer dress
- the clone was a copy of its ancestor
Definition categories: man–made, representation
3. matter to be printed; exclusive of graphical materials
4. material suitable for a journalistic account
- catastrophes make good copy
Sentences with copy as a noun:
- That handbag is a copy. You can tell because the buckle is different.
- Submit all copy to the appropriate editor.
- Tim got in trouble for forgetting his maths copy.
- Have you seen the latest copy of "Newsweek" yet?
- His virtues are an excellent copy for imitation.
1. copy down as is
- The students were made to copy the alphabet over and over
2. reproduce someone's behavior or looks
- Children often copy their parents or older siblings
3. reproduce or make an exact copy of
- copy the genetic information
Similar word(s): replicate
4. make a replica of
- copy that drawing
Sentences with copy as a verb:
- Please copy these reports for me.
- First copy the files, and then paste them in another directory.
- Don't copy my dance moves.
- Mom, he's copying me!
- Do you copy?