1. an urgent or peremptory request
- his demands for attention were unceasing
2. the ability and desire to purchase goods and services
- the automobile reduced the demand for buggywhips
- the demand exceeded the supply
Definition categories: process
3. required activity
- there were many demands on his time
Similar word(s): requirement
4. the act of demanding
- the kidnapper's exorbitant demands for money
5. a condition requiring relief
- there is a demand for jobs
Similar word(s): need
Sentences with demand as a noun:
- Prices usually go up when demand exceeds supply.
- There is a demand for voluntary health workers in the poorer parts of Africa and Asia.
- Modern society is responding to women's demands for equality.
- His job makes many demands on his time.
- She couldn't ignore the newborn baby's demands for attention.
1. request urgently and forcefully
- The victim's family is demanding compensation
- The boss demanded that he be fired immediately
- She demanded to see the manager
2. require as useful, just, or proper
- This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice
Definition categories: stative
3. claim as due or just
- The bank demanded payment of the loan
Similar word(s): exact
4. lay legal claim to
5. summon to court
6. ask to be informed of
- I demand an explanation
Sentences with demand as a verb:
- I demand to see the manager.
- The bank is demanding the mortgage payment.
- I demand an immediate explanation.
- This job demands a lot of patience.