1. a condition requiring relief
- she satisfied his need for affection
- God has no need of men to accomplish His work
Similar word(s): demand
2. anything that is necessary but lacking
- he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs
Similar word(s): want
3. the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior
Definition categories: general
4. a state of extreme poverty or destitution
- a general state of need exists among the homeless
Sentences with need as a noun:
- There's no need to speculate; we can easily find out for sure.
- She grew irritated with his constant need for attention.
- Our needs are not being met.
- I've always tried to have few needs beyond food, clothing and shelter.
1. require as useful, just, or proper
Definition categories: stative
2. have need of
3. have or feel a need for
- always needing friends and money
Definition categories: consumption
Sentences with need as a verb:
- Living things need water to survive.
- After ten days of hiking, I needed a shower and a shave.
- You need not go if you don't want to.