1. the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force
- we must instill a sense of duty in our children
- every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty
Definition categories: act
2. work that you are obliged to perform for moral or legal reasons
3. a government tax on imports or exports
Similar word(s): tariff
Definition categories: possession
Sentences with duty as a noun:
- We don't have a duty to keep you here.
- I’m on duty from 6 pm to 6 am.