1. change toward something smaller or lower
Similar word(s): diminution
2. a condition inferior to an earlier condition; a gradual falling off from a better state
Similar word(s): declination
3. a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
Similar word(s): decay
4. a downward slope or bend
1. grow worse
Similar word(s): worsen
2. refuse to accept
Definition categories: possession
3. show unwillingness towards
- he declined to join the group on a hike
Similar word(s): refuse
4. grow smaller
Similar word(s): wane
5. go down
- The roof declines here
6. go down in value
7. inflect for number, gender, case, etc.
- in many languages, speakers decline nouns, pronouns, and adjectives
Sentences with decline as a verb:
- The dollar has declined rapidly since 2001.
- My health declined in winter.
- a line that declines from straightness
- conduct that declines from sound morals
- On reflection I think I will decline your generous offer.