1. a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
Definition categories: plant
2. a figure that branches from a single root
- genealogical tree
Definition categories: shape
Sentences with tree as a noun:
- Hyperion is the tallest living tree in the world.
- Birds have a nest in a tree in the garden.
- He had the choice of buying a scratching post or a cat tree.
- He put a shoe tree in each of his shoes.
- We’ll show it as a tree list.
- Tyburn tree
1. force a person or an animal into a position from which he cannot escape
Similar word(s): corner
2. plant with trees
- this lot should be treed so that the house will be shaded in summer
3. chase an animal up a tree
- the hunters treed the bear with dogs and killed it
- her dog likes to tree squirrels
4. stretch (a shoe) on a shoetree
Similar word(s): shoetree
Sentences with tree as a verb:
- The dog treed the cat.
- to tree a boot