1. a member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man since prehistoric times; occurs in many breeds
- the dog barked all night
2. a dull unattractive unpleasant girl or woman
- she's a real dog
Similar word(s): frump
Definition categories: person
3. informal term for a man
- you lucky dog
4. someone who is morally reprehensible
- you dirty dog
5. a smooth-textured sausage of minced beef or pork usually smoked; often served on a bread roll
6. a hinged catch that fits into a notch of a ratchet to move a wheel forward or prevent it from moving backward
7. metal supports for logs in a fireplace
Definition categories: man–made, support
Sentences with dog as a noun:
- The dog barked all night long.
- She’s a real dog.
- You lucky dog!
- Come back and fight, you dogs!
- The dogs were too hot to touch.
- "My dogs are barking!" meaning "My feet hurt!"
1. go after with the intent to catch
- the dog chased the rabbit
Sentences with dog as a verb:
- The woman cursed him so that trouble would dog his every step.
- It is very important to dog down these hatches...
- I admit that I like to dog at my local country park.
- A surprise inspection of the night shift found that some workers were dogging it.
- I'd ask why you're dogged up in the middle of the room, but I probably don't want to know...