1. a small amount of liquid food
Similar word(s): sup
2. the act of swallowing
- one swallow of the liquid was enough
3. small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations
Sentences with swallow as a noun:
- He took the aspirin with a single swallow of water.
1. pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking
- Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!
Definition categories: consumption
2. engulf and destroy
- The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries
3. enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
- The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter
4. utter indistinctly
- She swallowed the last words of her speech
5. take back what one has said
- He swallowed his words
6. keep from expressing
- I swallowed my anger and kept quiet
7. tolerate or accommodate oneself to
- I swallowed the insult
Similar word(s): accept
8. believe or accept without questioning or challenge
- Am I supposed to swallow that story?
Sentences with swallow as a verb:
- My throat was so sore that I was unable to swallow.
- to swallow one's opinions
- to swallow an affront or insult