1. do away with, cause the destruction or undoing of
- The fire destroyed the house
Similar word(s): destruct
2. destroy completely; damage irreparably
Similar word(s): ruin
Definition categories: contact
3. defeat soundly and humiliatingly
Similar word(s): demolish
4. put (an animal) to death
- The customs agents destroyed the dog that was found to be rabid
Sentences with destroy as a verb:
- The earthquake destroyed several apartment complexes.
- Hooligans destroy unprovoked
- Smoking destroys the natural subtlety of the palate
- Destroying a rabid dog is required by law.
- The memory leak happened because we forgot to destroy the temporary lists.