1. (obsolete) An objective or aim.
1. make a proposal, declare a plan for something
- the senator proposed to abolish the sales tax
2. present for consideration, examination, criticism, etc.
- He proposed a new plan for dealing with terrorism
- She proposed a new theory of relativity
- The candidate projects himself as a moderate and a reformer
Similar word(s): project
3. propose or intend
4. put forward; nominate for appointment to an office or for an honor or position
Similar word(s): nominate
5. ask (someone) to marry you
- she proposed marriage to the man she had known for only two months
Similar word(s): offer
Sentences with propose as a verb:
- I propose going to see a film.
- to propose an alliance; to propose a question for discussion
- He proposed to her last night and she accepted him.
- He proposes to set up his own business.