1. state emphatically and authoritatively
- He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with
2. announce publicly or officially
- The President declared war
Similar word(s): announce
3. state firmly
- He declared that he was innocent
4. declare to be
- She was declared incompetent
5. authorize payments of
- declare dividends
6. designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand
7. make a declaration (of dutiable goods) to a customs official
- Do you have anything to declare?
8. proclaim one's support, sympathy, or opinion for or against
- His wife declared at once for moving to the West Coast
Sentences with declare as a verb:
- He declared him innocent.
- declare bankruptcy
- declare victory
- (cricket) declare (an innings) closed
- Houghton and Sunderland South was the first constituency to declare in the 2015 general election.
- The counter "i" was declared as an integer.