1. deserving or inciting pity
- Oh, you poor thing
- his poor distorted limbs
2. having little money or few possessions
- deplored the gap between rich and poor countries
- the proverbial poor artist living in a garret
3. characterized by or indicating poverty
- the country had a poor economy
- they lived in the poor section of town
4. lacking in quality or substances
- a poor land
- the area was poor in timber and coal
- food poor in nutritive value
Similar word(s): resourceless
5. of insufficient quantity to meet a need
- a poor salary
- the jejune diets of the very poor
Sentences with poor as an adjective:
- We were so poor that we couldn't afford shoes.
- That was a poor performance.
- Oh you poor little thing.
- Cow's milk is poor in iron.
- I received a poor reward for all my hard work.