1. having only superficial plausibility; not very convincing.
2. exactly ready for the occasion; timely.
- a pat reply
Similar word(s): appropriate
Sentences with pat as an adjective:
- a pat expression
1. completely or perfectly
- he has the lesson pat
- had the system down pat
Sentences with pat as an adverb:
- He has the routine down pat.
1. the sound made by a gentle blow
2. a light touch or stroke
1. pat or squeeze fondly or playfully, especially under the chin
Similar word(s): chuck
2. hit lightly
- pat him on the shoulder
Similar word(s): dab
Sentences with pat as a verb:
- To show affection, he decided he would pat the boy on the head.
- I patted the cookie dough into shape.
- Do you want to pat the cat?