1. information about recent and important events
- they awaited news of the outcome
2. information reported in a newspaper or news magazine
- the news of my death was greatly exaggerated
3. a program devoted to current events, often using interviews and commentary
- we watch the 7 o'clock news every night
4. informal information of any kind that is not previously known to someone
- it was news to me
5. the quality of being sufficiently interesting to be reported in news bulletins
- the judge conceded the newsworthiness of the trial
- he is no longer news in the fashion world
Similar word(s): newsworthiness
Sentences with news as a noun:
- Is there any news about the storm?
- That was not much news in the press release.
- Did you listen to the news tonight?
- The news is that Mr. Jones died yesterday from cancer.