1. the position of a prominent or well-known object in a particular landscape
- the church steeple provided a convenient landmark
2. an event marking a unique or important historical change of course or one on which important developments depend
Similar word(s): watershed
3. a mark showing the boundary of a piece of land
4. an anatomical structure used as a point of origin in locating other anatomical structures (as in surgery) or as point from which measurements can be taken
1. (US) To officially designate a site or building as a landmark.