1. someone who mediates between speakers of different languages
Similar word(s): translator
2. someone who uses art to represent something
- his paintings reveal a sensitive interpreter of nature
- she was famous as an interpreter of Shakespearean roles
3. an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
4. (computer science) a program that translates and executes source language statements one line at a time
Sentences with interpreter as a noun:
- A Japanese man who is tried before a German court is assisted by an interpreter in making oral statements.
- Programs written in the BASIC language are usually run through an interpreter, though some can be compiled.