1. A cry of distress or an urgent request for assistance
1. the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- offered his help in unloading
2. a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- they hired additional help to finish the work
3. a person or thing that is a resource that helps make something easier or possible to do
4. a means of serving
- there's no help for it
Sentences with help as a noun:
- I need some help with my homework.
- He was a great help to me when I was moving house.
- I've printed out a list of math helps.
- I can't find anything in the help about rotating an image.
- The help is coming round this morning to clean.
- Most of the hired help is seasonal, for the harvest.
- His suicide attempts were a cry for help.
- He really needs help in handling customer complaints.
- "He's a real road-rager." / "Yup, he really needs help, maybe anger management."
1. give help or assistance; be of service
- Everyone helped out during the earthquake
- Can you help me carry this table?
- She never helps around the house
2. improve the condition of
- These pills will help the patient
Similar word(s): aid
3. be of use
- This will help to prevent accidents
Similar word(s): facilitate
4. abstain from doing; always used with a negative
- I can't help myself--I have to smoke
- She could not help watching the sad spectacle
5. help to some food; help with food or drink
- I served him three times, and after that he helped himself
Similar word(s): serve
6. contribute to the furtherance of
- This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries
7. take or use
- She helped herself to some of the office supplies
Similar word(s): avail
8. improve; change for the better
- New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture
Sentences with help as a verb:
- He helped his grandfather cook breakfast.
- The white paint on the walls helps make the room look brighter.
- If you want to get a job, it helps to have some prior experience.
- She was struggling with the groceries, so I offered to help.
- Please, help!
- We couldn’t help noticing that you were late.
- We couldn’t help but notice that you were late.
- She’s trying not to smile, but she can’t help herself.
- Can I help it if I'm so beautiful?
- Can I help it that I fell in love with you?