1. the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit
- the doctor recommended regular exercise
- he did some exercising
- the physical exertion required by his work kept him fit
2. the act of using
3. systematic training by multiple repetitions
4. a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding
Similar word(s): example
5. (usually plural) a ceremony that involves processions and speeches
- academic exercises
6. an action, often used negatively and without consequences
- an exercise in futility
- an exercise in cheap talk
Sentences with exercise as a noun:
- The teacher told us the next exercise is to write an essay.
1. put to use
- exert one's power or influence
Similar word(s): exert
2. carry out or practice; as of jobs and professions
Definition categories: social
3. give a workout to
- Some parents exercise their infants
- this puzzle will exercise your mind
Similar word(s): work
4. do physical exercise
Definition categories: body
5. learn by repetition
Sentences with exercise as a verb:
- to exercise troops or horses; to exercise one's brain with a puzzle
- I exercise at the gym every day.
- The tenant exercised its option to renew the tenancy.
- She is going to exercise her right to vote.
- exercised with pain