1. A familial relationship established by childbirth.
- Her birth father left when she was a baby; she was raised by her mother and stepfather.
1. the time when something begins (especially life)
- they divorced after the birth of the child
- his election signaled the birth of a new age
2. the event of being born
- they celebrated the birth of their first child
3. the process of giving birth
Definition categories: process
4. the kinship relation of an offspring to the parents
Similar word(s): parentage
5. a baby born; an offspring
- the overall rate of incidence of Down's syndrome is one in every 800 births
Sentences with birth as a noun:
- Intersex babies account for roughly one per cent of all births.
- the birth of an empire
- He was of noble birth, but fortune had not favored him.