1. indicating the absence of any or all units under consideration
- a zero score
Similar word(s): cardinal
2. having no measurable or otherwise determinable value
- the goal is zero population growth
Similar word(s): no
3. indicating an initial point or origin
Similar word(s): ordinal
4. of or relating to the null set (a set with no members)
Sentences with zero as an adjective:
- She showed zero respect.
- The stem of "kobieta" with the zero ending is "kobiet".
1. a quantity of no importance
Definition categories: quantity
2. a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
3. the point on a scale from which positive or negative numerical quantities can be measured
Definition categories: thought
4. the sight setting that will cause a projectile to hit the center of the target with no wind blowing
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with zero as a noun:
- In unary and k-adic notation in general, zero is the empty string.
- Write 0.0 to indicate a floating point number rather than the integer zero.
- The zero sign in American Sign Language is considered rude in some cultures.
- One million has six zeroes.
- The shipment was lost, so they had zero in stock.
- He knows zero about humour.
- In the end, all of our hard work amounted to zero.
- The electromagnetic field does not drop all of the way to zero before a reversal.
- The temperature outside is ten degrees below zero.
- The zeroes of a polynomial are its roots by the fundamental theorem of algebra.
- The derivative of a continuous, differentiable function that twice crosses the axis must have a zero.
- The nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function may all lie on the critical line.
- Since a commutative zero is the inverse of any additive identity, it must be unique when it exists.
- The zero (of a ring or field) has the property that the product of the zero with any element yields the zero.
- The quotient ring over a maximal ideal is a field with a single zero element.
- They rudely treated him like a zero.
- The takeovers were financed by issuing zeroes.
1. (cardinal) The cardinal number occurring before one and that denotes no quantity or amount at all, represented in Arabic numerals as 0.
- The conductor waited until the passenger count was zero.
- A cheque for zero dollars and zero cents crashed the computers on division by zero.
1. adjust (an instrument or device) to zero value
2. adjust (as by firing under test conditions) the zero of (a gun)
- He zeroed in his rifle at 200 yards
Sentences with zero as a verb:
- Zero the fluorometer with the same solvent used in extraction.
- Results were inconsistent because an array wasn’t zeroed during initialization.
- They tried to zero the budget by the end of the quarter.