1. indicating the absence of any or all units under consideration
- a zero score
Similar word(s): cardinal
2. having no measurable or otherwise determinable value
- the goal is zero population growth
Similar word(s): no
3. indicating an initial point or origin
Similar word(s): ordinal
4. of or relating to the null set (a set with no members)
Sentences with zero as an adjective:
- She showed zero respect.
- The stem of "kobieta" with the zero ending is "kobiet".
1. a quantity of no importance
Definition categories: quantity
2. a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
3. the point on a scale from which positive or negative numerical quantities can be measured
Definition categories: thought
4. the sight setting that will cause a projectile to hit the center of the target with no wind blowing
Definition categories: man–made
Sentences with zero as a noun:
- In unary and k-adic notation in general, zero is the empty string.
- Write 0.0 to indicate a floating point number rather than the integer zero.
- The zero sign in American Sign Language is considered rude in some cultures.
- One million has six zeroes.
- The shipment was lost, so they had zero in stock.
- He knows zero about humour.
- In the end, all of our hard work amounted to zero.
- The electromagnetic field does not drop all of the way to zero before a reversal.
- The temperature outside is ten degrees below zero.
- The zeroes of a polynomial are its roots by the fundamental theorem of algebra.
- The derivative of a continuous, differentiable function that twice crosses the axis must have a zero.
- The nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function may all lie on the critical line.
- Since a commutative zero is the inverse of any additive identity, it must be unique when it exists.
- The zero (of a ring or field) has the property that the product of the zero with any element yields the zero.
- The quotient ring over a maximal ideal is a field with a single zero element.
- They rudely treated him like a zero.
- The takeovers were financed by issuing zeroes.
1. adjust (an instrument or device) to zero value
2. adjust (as by firing under test conditions) the zero of (a gun)
- He zeroed in his rifle at 200 yards
Sentences with zero as a verb:
- Zero the fluorometer with the same solvent used in extraction.
- Results were inconsistent because an array wasn’t zeroed during initialization.
- They tried to zero the budget by the end of the quarter.