1. unique or specific to a person or thing or category
- the special features of a computer
- my own special chair
2. for a special service or occasion
- a special correspondent
- a special adviser to the committee
- had to get special permission for the event
Similar word(s): extraordinary
3. surpassing what is common or usual or expected
- he paid especial attention to her
- a special occasion
- a special reason to confide in her
4. adapted to or reserved for a particular purpose
- a special kind of paint
- a special medication for arthritis
5. having a specific function or scope
- a special (or specific) role in the mission
6. first and most important
- his special interest is music
- she gets special (or particular) satisfaction from her volunteer work
7. added to a regular schedule
- a special holiday flight
- put on special buses for the big game
Sentences with special as an adjective:
- a special episode of a television series
- Everyone is special to someone.
- He goes to a special school.
- The seven dark spots is a special property unique to Coccinella septempunctata.
1. a special offering (usually temporary and at a reduced price) that is featured in advertising
- they are having a special on pork chops
2. a dish or meal given prominence in e.g. a restaurant
3. a television production that features a particular person or work or topic
- the last of a series of BBC specials on Iran is being shown tonight
Definition categories: communication
Sentences with special as a noun:
- We're running a special on turkey for Thanksgiving.
- Thousands came to see the special that carried the President's coffin.
1. (nursing) To supervise a patient one-on-one.