1. far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree
- an exceptional memory
2. surpassing what is common or usual or expected
- exceptional kindness
3. deviating widely from a norm of physical or mental ability; used especially of children below normal in intelligence
- special educational provisions for exceptional children
Similar word(s): abnormal
Sentences with exceptional as an adjective:
- What an exceptional flower!
- The quality of the beer was exceptional.
- an exceptional curve; an exceptional divisor